West Horndon - A Potted History
The Manor in East Horndon, known as Torninduna, was held by Henry de Cornhill in the 12th Century. His daughter and heir, Joan, brought it in marriage to Hugh de Nevill around the year 1195. Hugh, with the consent of his son, John Nevill, subsequently granted the Manor and area around to Waltham Abbey on condition that the canons there should pray for his soul and the souls of his successors. In 1381, inhabitants of the area took part in the Peasants' Revolt over the payment of poll tax levied on Brentwood village and it spread all over England. After the dissolution of the religious houses, the Estate passed to Henry VIII.
The King sold the reversion of the Manor to Sir William Petre, whose descendants held it continuously for over 450 years until 1923.
In 1938 Cliff Howard and Capt. E.N. Griffiths formed Rotary Hoes Ltd. in East Horndon, Essex for the production of Howard's machines in England. The firm finally left West Horndon in 1975.
The West Horndon Estate was developed by William Bower Goodchild in the 1950's with house prices ranging from £500 to £750 freehold. Travel to London by train for a monthly season ticket cost £1 10s 0d (£1.50) and Southend return cost 1s 2d (6p).
In December 2000, a detailed book called East and West Horndon - A View of the Parish and its Surrounds - Today and Yesterday was written and published by Gordon R. Everson, a resident of West Horndon.